Chocolate Hedgehog Cake
- 1H 15 MinTotal Time
This delightful hedgehog cake recipe with a moist chocolate sponge and delicious Betty Crocker™ chocolate fudge icing is sure to make anyone smile.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 120 ml vegetable oil (6 tbsp)
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 230 ml water
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing
- Normal and giant chocolate buttons
- white chocolate buttons
- Milk chocolate drops
- Milk chocolate ball
- (optional for grass: ½ tub Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Icing and greed food colouring)
- 2 x 8" well greased cake tins
- Electric mixer
- Palette knife
Method Watch Video
- Preheatyour oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4. Grease the tins or line with greaseproof paper.
- Mixthe eggs, oil, water and Devil’s Food Cake Mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pourthe cake mix evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bakein the centre of the oven for 23- 28 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool on a cooling rack.
- Icea thin, even layer of icing over the top of one cake and gently press the other cake on top. Cut off a section from each side and a point at the bottom of the cake.
- Cutthe point of the cake at an angle to create a nose.
- Icea thin layer of icing over the top of the cake and stack the offcuts on top. Apply more icing to the whole cake (you may want to water down the icing slightly to make this easier) then place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once set apply another layer of icing all over the cake for a smooth, crumb free finish.
- Decoratethe giant buttons in half and place in row towards the back of the cake.
- Attachthe normal sized buttons around the front of the cake, leaving room for a face.
- Createthe eyes by sticking white chocolate buttons at the front and add some icing to the chocolate drops to stick them onto the buttons. Finish off with a milk chocolate ball for the nose.
- Adda few drops of green food colouring to half a tub of vanilla icing and mix well. Spread over the cake board to create the grass.
- Finishwith some flower decorations and leaves for a beautiful final touch!