Mini St Clements Cakes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Try this recipe for twelve delightful mini St Clements cakes, topped with delicious Betty Crocker™ lemon icing and lemon and orange zest. Perfect as a small treat!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Zesty Lemon Cake Mix
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 180 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- zest half an orange
Topping and Filling
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Zesty Lemon Icing
- zest 1 large lemon
- zest 1 large orange
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C for fan assisted ovens)/ Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and cake mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Fold through the orange zest.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into the holes of the muffin tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean. Leave the cakes in the tin for 2-3 minutes then run the palette knife around the sides of each cake to loosen slightly and carefully turn out onto the wire rack. Leave to cool.
- Slice the domed top off each cake to give a flat surface then slice each cake in half.
- Mix the lemon icing with 1/3 of the lemon and orange zest and use half to sandwich the cakes back together. Spread the rest of the icing over the top of each sandwiched cake, swirling it with the tip of the palette knife. Decorate each cake with the remaining lemon and orange zest.TIP You’ll need a muffin tray that has holes at least 5cm deep for these mini cakes. Alternatively, line your ungreased muffin tray with 12 large paper muffin cases before filling. Once the cakes are completely cold carefully peel off the paper cases.