Black Forest Gateau
Total Time: 45 Minutes
A wonderfully simple Black Forest Gateau, this dessert is mouthwateringly moist and crammed with cherries – delicious!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 90 ml vegetable oil (around 5 tbsp)
- 230 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 3 tbsp Kirsch
Filling / Topping
- 25 g pitted cherries, juice reserved
- 100 g morello cherry jam
- 500 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together and then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mix evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 23-28 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Meanwhile mix together the Kirsch and 2 tbsp of reserved cherry juice. Turn the cakes onto a wire rack and prick holes all over each with a fork. Using a knife spread the Kirsch mix over each sponge allowing it to seep into them as they are cooling.
- Pipe the remaining cream (using a large nozzle in your icing bag) around the edges of the cake to seal in the cherry topping.mmmm delicious!