Chocolate & Orange Brownie Cheesecake Gateau
Total Time: 3 Hours 40 Minutes
This divine dessert has a rich chocolate brownie base, topped with a layer of orange cheesecake smothered in an intense dark chocolate frosting. It’s the ultimate chocolate treat!
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Brownie Cheesecake Cake Mix
- 200g full fat soft cheese (cream cheese)
- 2 medium eggs
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 60g butter
- 15ml water
For the chocolate frosting and decoration
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon golden syrup
- 75ml double cream
- Few strips pared orange zest, cut into very thin strips
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease an 18cm round loose-bottomed cake tin or spring form tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Make up the cheesecake mix as directed on the box with the soft cheese and 1 egg. Fold in the orange zest and set aside.
- Make up the brownie mix as directed on the box with the butter, water and remaining egg. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Spoon the cheesecake mix evenly over the brownie batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes then chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- To make the chocolate frosting, place the chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat, cool for 5 minutes then stir in the cream to make a smooth glossy frosting. Leave in a cool place for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to spread.
- Meanwhile, put the orange strips in a small saucepan with 3 tablespoons cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes until the strips are soft. Drain and refresh under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Remove the brownie cheesecake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Spread the frosting over the top of the cheesecake, swirling with the tip of a palette knife. Decorate with the orange strips. Chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to allow the frosting to firm up slightly before serving.
- For a speedier dessert spread the cooled brownie cheesecake with 200g Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing.
- For a minty flavour, replace the orange zest in the cheesecake mix with a few drops of peppermint extract and colour with a few drops of green food colouring gel. Decorate with thin mint chocolate wafers instead of the orange strips.