Total Time: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
These cute wide-eyed owl chocolate cupcakes will be a hit at Halloween!
All You Need Is ...
For the cupcake
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
For the decoration
- 600g (about 1½ tubs) Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing
- 24 large milk chocolate buttons, halved
- 48 large white chocolate buttons
- 48 dark chocolate chips
- 24 yellow or orange sugar-coated chocolate beans
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake both trays together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
- Frost each of the cupcakes with icing. Place the remainder in a disposable piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle. Place 2 milk chocolate button halves on each cupcake for ears. Pipe the rest of the chocolate icing over the ears and around the edges of each cupcake to resemble tufty feathers.
- Place 2 white chocolate buttons on each cupcake, below the ears, then attach 2 dark chocolate chips to the buttons with a tiny dot of any remaining chocolate icing for the eyes. Push 1 yellow or orange sugar-coated chocolate bean sideways into each cupcake (just between the eyes) for the beak. Serve immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 2 days.
- For snowy white owls use Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla icing instead of the chocolate icing. Use white chocolate buttons for the ears and milk chocolate buttons and white chocolate drops for the eyes.
- If the icing is quite firm then leave the tub in a warm place for about 30 minutes to allow it to soften a little – this will make it easier to pipe.