Lemon and Lime Cake
Total Time: 3 Hours 15 Minutes
This refreshing cake is packed with the zingy flavours of lemon and lime!
All You Need Is ...
- 90ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix or Zesty Lemon Cake Mix
- 180 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the Topping
- 397g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 150ml double cream
- 125ml freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 large limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Lemon and lime slices, sliced strawberries and mint leaves, to decorate
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 33cm x 22cm rectangular cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Mix the oil, cake mix, water and eggs gently together in a bowl, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Whisk in the lemon zest. Pour into the prepared tin and gently level the surface. Bake for 25-27 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- With the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes at 1-2cm intervals almost to the bottom of the cake, wiping the spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- To make the topping, stir the condensed milk, cream, lime juice and zest together in a bowl – the mixture will gradually thicken. Spread two-thirds of the mixture all over the cake and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly over the surface, working back and forth to fill the holes. Spread the rest of the mixture over the top of the cake and swirl with a palette knife. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin using the baking paper. Slice into 15 servings and decorate each with lemon and lime slices, sliced strawberries and mint leaves.
- Add a few drops of liquid green food colouring to the filling and topping for extra colour, if you like.
- If making ahead, store the finished cake in the fridge, loosely covered with cling film, and only decorate just before serving.