Halloween Scarecrow Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Have fun creating these scraggly-looking scarecrows for a Halloween tea-time treat!
All You Need Is ...
For the cupcake
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
For the decoration
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- 12 pink or chocolate wafer biscuits
- 1 liquorice Catherine wheel, unrolled and cut into 24 equal short lengths (discard or eat the sweet in the centre!)
- 48 red sugar-coated mini chocolate beans
- 2 short pieces liquorice, cut into 24 small triangles
- 1 small tube black writing icing
- 1 shredded wheat biscuit, broken into strands
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake both trays together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
- Spread the cupcakes with the icing (reserving about 1 teaspoon). Cut 6 of the wafer biscuits in half lengthways and cut the rest in half widthways. Arrange one long and one short length of wafer across the top of each cupcake to form a hat, pressing down gently. Attach 1 strip of liquorice Catherine wheel to each hat using the reserved icing.
- Use the mini chocolate beans and the liquorice triangles to make eyes and noses on each cupcake. Use the writing icing to pipe mouths and add strands of shredded wheat to give each scarecrow straggly hair as desired. Serve immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 2 days.
- If you can’t find wafers for the scarecrows hats, use halved small round biscuits instead or mould hat shapes from ready-to-roll brown or black icing.
- If it’s easier, use a mixture of coloured mini chocolate beans.