Blueberry Lemon Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
A tangy lemon-flavoured cake filled with vanilla buttercream and topped with fresh blueberries in syrup – it’s the perfect combo!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
Filling and Topping
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 50ml plus 1 tablespoon water
- 25g caster sugar
- 300g fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, water and eggs together gently in a large bowl and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and cream. Fold in the lemon zest. Divide between the prepared tins and gently level the surface.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the blueberry topping, mix arrowroot and 1 tablespoon water together in a small bowl; set aside. Heat the sugar and 50ml water in a medium saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Add the blueberries and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the arrowroot mixture and simmer, stirring for 1 minute until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Using a palette knife, spread some of the icing over the top of one cold cake and spoon over 4 tablespoons of the blueberries. Place the second cake on top, pressing down gently. Spread a thin layer of some of the remaining icing around the sides of the cake to seal in the crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Spread the rest of the icing around the sides and top of the cake. Spoon the remaining blueberries on top – don’t worry if some of the syrup drips down the side of the cake. Slice to serve.
- Store this cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Allow to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
- If you are making this cake in advance then only top with the blueberries and syrup just before serving.