Warm Caramel Apple Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 35 Minutes
Serve this yummy apple upside-down cake warm from the oven. It’s all made easier with Betty Crocker™ cake mix and icing.
All You Need Is ...
- 115g unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 225g light soft brown sugar
- 40g Pecans chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 medium cooking apples (400g) peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 tub (400g) Betty Crocker Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
- 4 tablespoons ready-made caramel sauce warmed
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the butter, cream and sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Simmer for 1 minute then pour into the base of a 33 cm x 22 cm rectangular cake tin. Scatter over the chopped pecans and top with the apple slices.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, water and eggs together gently in a medium bowl and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Spoon the mixture over the apples and gently level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 41-44 minutes until golden, risen and just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then loosen the sides of the cake from the tin with a palette knife.
- Invert the cake onto a heatproof serving platter. Leave the tin on the cake for 1 minute to allow the caramel to drizzle over the cake then remove the tin.
- Serve warm, cut into pieces, each one topped with a spoonful of icing, chopped pecans and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Try adding 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg to the cake mix along with the cinnamon.
- Replace the apples with 3 peeled, cored and thinly sliced pears and add a teaspoon of almond extract to the cake mix instead of the ground cinnamon for a change of flavour.