May Day Baskets
Total Time: 1 Hour 50 Minutes
Turn basic cupcakes into sweet-topped baskets. Kids of all ages will love them!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 180 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 tub (400g) Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Strawberry fizzy straws
- Assorted small sweets or jelly beans
- 2 x 12 hole muffin tins
- 24 white paper cupcake cases
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand or electric whisk
- Cooling rack
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together in a medium bowl and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly into the paper cases, to just over half full.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, until golden and risen. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Spread the icing onto the cupcakes. Create two opposite holes at the edge of each cupcake to insert the handles into. Push the fizzy straws down into them and then decorate with the sweets. Store in an airtight box until needed.
- Tint white frosting with yellow, blue, pink or green food color for colorful May baskets.
- Rekindle the childhood tradition of giving May baskets. Make a batch of cupcakes and deliver them to your neighbors and friends.