Happy Birthday Marshmallow Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Marshmallows go from mundane to marvellous in these beautiful cupcakes! They’re conveniently prepared with cake mix and ready-to-spread icing.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 1/2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Cooking oil spray
- 30-40 pink and white marshmallows
- Pink, cream, yellow and white (mixed) 100s and 1000s
- 24 birthday candles
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases. Make, bake and cool the cake mix as directed for cupcakes on the box.
- Using a small palette knife, swirl the icing on top of the cupcakes.
- Spray the blades of kitchen scissors with cooking oil spray and cut each marshmallow on the diagonal into 3-4 slices pinching each slice gently at one end to make a petal shape (see Tip).
- Sprinkle one cut side of each marshmallow ‘petal’ with 100s and 1000s (do in batches of 5, using just pink, cream or yellow and white for each batch). Arrange 5 ‘petals’ of a single colour slightly overlapping on the top of each cupcake to create a flower. Place a birthday candle in the centre of each flower.
- Marshmallows can differ in shape and size so to get even-sized ‘petals’ you may need a few extra.
- If you have only one muffin tray, cover and chill the rest of the cake mix while baking the first batch. Add an extra 1-2 minutes to the baking time for the second batch.