Halloween Broomstick Brownies
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
These easy-to-make iced brownie broomsticks will fly off the table at a Halloween party!
All You Need Is ...
For the brownie
- 40ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 75ml water
- 1 medium free range egg
For the decoration
- 12 pretzel sticks
- 1 long thin strawberry liquorice lace, cut into 12 equal short lengths
- 75g Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Yellow food colouring paste or gel
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm square shallow cake tin and line the base and 2 sides with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the brownie mix, oil, water and egg together until well blended. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared tin and bake for 20-22 minutes until a round bladed knife inserted into the brownie comes out almost clean. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the tin; about 30 minutes.
- Lift the brownie from the tin using the baking paper. Cut the brownie in half, then cut each half into 6 triangles each with a 4cm wide base (see diagram). You will have some brownie leftover at the sides to discard or eat!
- Insert a pretzel stick into the pointed end of each brownie for the handle of the broomstick. Wrap a short length of red liquorice around each brownie at the pointed end to form a band.
- Place the vanilla icing in a small bowl and use the yellow food colouring paste or gel to colour the icing bright yellow. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle. Pipe ‘bristles’ onto each brownie with the yellow icing. Leave in a cool place to set; about 20 minutes. Serve immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 2-3 days.
- If you prefer, use melted white chocolate to pipe the bristles onto the broomsticks. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
- If you can’t find pretzel sticks, use thin Italian breadsticks or mint chocolate sticks instead.