Total Time: 1 Hour 16 Minutes
This impressive football cake recipe will make the perfect birthday treat for a football fan. Deliciously chocolaty, this cake tastes as good as it looks.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 120 ml vegetable oil (6tbsp)
- 230 ml water
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Icing
- ½ tub Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Icing
- Green food paste colouring
- desiccated coconut
- 125 g black ready to roll icing
- 250 g white ready to roll icing
- icing sugar
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and Devil’s Food Cake Mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mix evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 23- 28 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool on a cooling rack.
- Ice the middle of the cake with Chocolate Fudge Icing.
- Cut around the top edge of one of the cakes to form a round shape. Then ice then rest of the cake on the top and sides.
- Knead & work the white ready to roll icing until soft and pliable. Dust the worktop with icing sugar. Roll out the ready to roll icing evenly until 5mm thick and big enough to cover the cake.
- Cover the cake with the icing and gently smooth over with your hands. Cut the icing at the bottom of the cake neatly and discard.
- Cut out a pentagon and hexagon shape, both with equal length sides. You can download shapes from the internet.
- Roll the black icing to 3mm think and cut around the pentagon shape with a sharp knife. Dampen the top of the cake with water and stick your first pentagon on. Lay the hexagon underneath and gently score lines around the shape into the icing, taking care not to actually cut into the icing. Repeat around the whole cake.
- Add green food colouring to Vanilla Icing and mix. Spread over the cake board around the bottom of the cake. Then add green food colouring to desiccated coconut and mix. Sprinkle over the icing to create grass.
- You could always colour vanilla icing in your favourite team’s colour and put it in the middle instead of Chocolate Fudge Icing!