Dinosaur Themed Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
All You Need Is ...
- 1 Betty Crocker™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 230 ml water
- 3 medium free range egg
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Green food colouring
- 19 small round chocolates
- Assorted chocolates for decorating (chocolate chips, chocolate buttons, chocolates with a hard shell)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160˚ for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and Devil’s Food Cake Mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into your 2x 8" well greased round cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 23-28 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, then cool on a wire rack.
- Cut a 1-inch slice from the edge of one cake to form the body. From this edge, cut out a small inverted U-shape piece and place the body on a tray. Using the remaining cake, cut out a head and tail and arrange next to the body. Use this handy template to cut out your pieces.
- Stir the icing and a few drops of green food colouring in a bowl until well combined. Leave some of the vanilla icing to decorate the eyes and teeth and the end.
- Spread a thin layer of green icing over the top of your dinosaur shape and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help seal in the crumbs for perfectly smooth icing.
- Ice the cake again with the remaining green icing for a crumb-free finish.
- Decorate your green dinosaur with milk chocolate chips for spikes along the back and assorted chocolate shapes across the body. Use 2 chocolates for eyes and place the remaining white icing into a piping bag to pipe dots for the eyes and some teeth. A fun pre-historic themed cake that will delight dinosaur lovers!