Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
These stylish frosted vanilla cupcakes are perfect for a simple but impressive wedding cake or to celebrate a special birthday or event.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 3 tubs Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Glimmer sugar, colour of your choice
- A selection of sugar flowers of your choice (see Tip)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake both trays together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spoon half the icing into a large piping bag fitted with a medium-fluted nozzle and pipe peaked swirls of icing on the top of half of the cupcakes. Fill the bag with the rest of the icing and pipe swirls on the remaining cupcakes (you may have a small amount of icing left over).
- Sprinkle the iced cupcakes with glimmer sugar, then decorate each one with your choice of sugar flowers and arrange as best suits your occasion to serve. The cupcakes can be made ahead and stored in airtight boxes in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- Decorate these cupcakes to suit the colour theme of the occasion. Most supermarkets sell white or pink sugar roses or flowers but if you want a more specific colour, try a cake decorating supplier or look online. Alternatively, decorate with pastel coloured sugared almonds, edible silver balls or confetti sugar sprinkles.
- The undecorated cupcakes can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow to defrost at room temperature, then pipe on the icing and decorate.