Chocolate Pear Upside Down Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
All You Need Is ...
- 40 g unsalted butter, melted
- 40 g light soft brown sugar
- 3 pears, peeled, thickly sliced and cored
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Tempting Chocolate Cake Mix
- 230 ml water
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Tempting Chocolate Icing
- 100 ml milk
- Cream to serve, optional
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C for fan assisted ovens)/ Gas Mark 4. Mix together the melted butter and the light brown sugar then spread in the base of the lined tin. Arrange the pear slices in a circle in the base of the tin with the point of each slice meeting in the centre.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and cake mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture over the pears and gently level the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate sauce. Gently heat the chocolate icing and milk in a small pan, stirring all the time, until melted and smooth. Cool for 5-10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, invert the cake onto a serving plate or board. Cut into slices and serve with the warm chocolate sauce and cream (optional).