Love Bug Cake Balls
Total Time: 4 Hours 30 Minutes
These playful guys are perfect for Valentine’s Day – fun to decorate, and yummy to eat!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 Box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 180 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1/2 tub Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- 3 x 360g bags Candy Melts or Candy Coins (any colours)
- Heart Shapes sweets and sugar eyes
- Red String Licorice
- Small Heart Shaped Cookies
- 2 x 8" well-greaced cake tins
- A large bowl
- Baking sheet
- Block of plastic foam
- 48 paper lillipop sticks or wooden skewers
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat our oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4. Grease the tins or line with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and Velvety Vanilla Cake mix gently together, and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 22- 27 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool on a cooling rack.
- Crumble the cooled cake into a large bowl. Set-aside 190g (500ml) of cake crumbs for coating. Add frosting to the crumbled cake in the bowl and mix well.
- Shape into 1 to 2-inch balls; place on baking sheet. Place cake balls in freezer about 15 minutes to firm up. Then transfer them to the refrigerator to keep chilled and avoid freezing.
- Decorate In microwavable bowl, microwave candy melts uncovered as directed on bag until melted; stir until smooth. Remove 2 cake balls from refrigerator at a time. Dip each lollipop stick into melted candy and insert the lollipop stick/skewer into cake ball no more than halfway. Then, dip each cake ball into melted candy; tap off excess. Immediately and gently press reserved cake crumbs on ball. Poke opposite end of stick into the foam block to dryRemove cake balls from sticks for decorating. Use melted candy to attach candies, licorice and cookies. Let stand until set. Store loosely covered.