Gluten-Free Sunflower Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Bring a ray of sunshine to the table with these beautiful sunny gluten free cupcakes. They are sure to brighten up anyone’s day.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Vegetable oil, water and eggs called for on the cake mix box
For the decoration
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Gluten-free yellow food colouring paste or gel
- 100g dark chocolate chips
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
- Make, bake and cool the cake mix as directed on the box for cupcakes using the oil, water and eggs.
- To decorate, put the icing in a mixing bowl and beat in enough of the yellow food colouring paste or gel to give a striking sunflower yellow colour (see Tips). Spread a thin layer of icing over the cupcakes. Spoon half of the remaining icing into a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle. Pipe 6 lines from the centre of each cupcake, out to the edge, making an evenly spaced, ‘spoke-like’ pattern on each. To create the petals, start in the centre and pipe a loop by going down 1 side of each spoke, turning at the edge of the cupcake and following the next spoke back into the centre. Repeat to create 6 loops, filling the piping bag with the remaining icing, as required.
- Fill the centre of each cupcake with chocolate chips, pointed-side down. Serve immediately and store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- Some food colouring gels do not give as intense a colour as pastes – you may find you need to add 2-3 teaspoons to get a good strong colour, but add gradually.
- Dark chocolate chips are the most effective for the centre of the sunflower but you can use milk chocolate chips if preferred.
- For an alternative centre to the cupcakes, try decorating with a halved blackberry, cut-side down.
- Baking gluten free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.