Tall, Dark and Stout Chocolate Layer Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Rich layers of chocolate cake, combined with stout beer and caramel make for an extra-dreamy dessert indulgence.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box (425g) Betty Crocker™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230ml stout beer
- 3 medium free range eggs
Topping and filling
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Tempting Chocolate Icing
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 3 x 36g chewy caramel chocolate bars, cut into chunks
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line and grease 3 x 20cm round cake tins.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, beer and eggs gently together in a medium bowl and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly into the 3 greased and lined cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-22 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Place 1 cake onto a platter or serving plate. Spread cake with 1/3 of the icing. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the caramel sauce. Top with another cake, 1/2 of the remaining icing and remaining 3 tablespoons caramel sauce. Top with remaining cake and remaining icing. Garnish with chunks of chocolate covered caramels.
- For even more chocolate flavor, use a chocolate stout beer.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake for an even more indulgent and delicious finish.