Confetti Party Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Stack up some delicious fun with this colourful and easy to make birthday cake!
All You Need Is ...
- 90ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 2/3 tubs Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
- Green, pink and blue food colouring pastes or gels
- 25g pastel coloured confetti candy sprinkles
- Birthday candles (optional)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cupcake cases. Grease and line the base of a 23cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Make up the cake mix as directed on the box. Spoon half the cake mixture into the cake tin and gently level the surface. Divide the rest of the mixture evenly between the paper cupcake cases. Bake the cake for about 22 minutes and the cupcakes for about 18 minutes. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the baking paper and leave to cool completely, along with the cupcakes.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the icing in a small bowl and beat in enough green colouring paste or gel to give a pale green colour. Place 4 tablespoons of icing in a separate bowl and colour pink, then place 7 tablespoons of icing in a third small bowl and colour pale blue. Frost 7 of the cupcakes with the blue icing, 4 with the pink icing and 1 with the green icing.
- Place the round cake on a serving plate or board and spread the remaining uncoloured icing over the top and side. Place 1 blue cupcake in the centre of the cake. Arrange the remaining blue cupcakes, sides touching, in a circle around the centre cupcake. Top with the pink cupcakes and then the green cupcake on top. Scatter over the confetti sprinkles. Add candles, if you like. Keep, loosely covered, in a cool place until ready to serve.
- Prepare the cakes a day in advance and wrap in foil and store in a cool place. Or freeze for up to 1 month. Only assemble a few hours before serving.
- Add the colouring paste of gel gradually to the icing using the tip of a cocktail stick or skewer until you get the desired depth of colour.