Toffee and Pecan Cookie Squares
Total Time: 4 Hours 10 Minutes
Toffee, chocolate and nuts all in one delicious cookie square – and it’s so simple to make.
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 2 x 200g pouches Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- 80g pecan halves, chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons water
For the topping
- 40 dairy toffees, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 70g pecan halves
- 40g dark chocolate chips, melted
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Put the cookie mix in a mixing bowl with the chopped pecans. Add 4 tablespoons of the water and mix to a soft dough, adding a little extra water if the mixture is too dry. Press evenly into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Just before the cookie base has finished baking, make the topping. Place the toffees and milk in a medium saucepan and heat gently, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookie base from the oven and carefully pour over the melted toffee mixture, spreading evenly with a palette knife. Arrange the pecan halves on top. Leave to cool completely in the tin; about 2 hours.
- Use the baking paper to lift the cookie square from the tin. Place on a chopping board and drizzle over the melted chocolate using a tablespoon. Leave in a cool place until set; about 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares to serve. Store any leftover cookie squares in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- To slice, dip a long sharp knife into hot water to warm the blade, then wipe dry with kitchen paper.
- Use any nuts in place of the pecans – try walnuts, macadamias or almonds or a mix of all three.