Sticky Toffee Ginger Cake Recipe
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
All You Need Is ...
- 200 g dried dates, chopped
- 150 ml boiling water
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Spiced Ginger Cake Mix
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 100 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1/2 tsp mix spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 75 g light soft brown sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 40 g golden syrup
- 100 ml double cream
- Scoops of vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C for fan assisted ovens)/ Gas Mark 4.
- Place the dates and boiling water in the small mixing bowl and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Pour into a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water, mixed spice, puereed dates and cake mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Fold through the vanilla extract and golden syrup until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the greased and lined baking tin and gently level the surface with the palette knife.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the caramel sauce. Put the sugar, butter and golden syrup into the pan over a low heat and stir until the butter has melted. Simmer gently, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the cream and stir until combined then remove from the heat.
- Remove the warm cake from the tin and discard the greaseproof paper. Spoon a little of the warm caramel sauce over the top of the cake then cut into slices. Serve drizzled with the remaining warm caramel sauce and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- If preferred, use 300g ready-made caramel sauce and re-heat gently in a small pan until just warm.