Speckled Egg Malted Milk Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours 40 Minutes
This fun speckled Easter egg cake is the perfect treat for Easter and a beautiful showstopper to impress friends and family.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 180 ml water
- 75 g malted milk powder
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
- Dash of blue food colouring
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 4 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100 g Vermicelli or buy a nest ready made (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Mini chocolate Easter eggs
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and Classic Vanilla Cake Mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into your three greased cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 22-27 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, then cool on a wire rack.
- Add the blue food colouring to the tub of vanilla buttercream icing and stir well until a light blue colour is achieved.
- Ice each cake with 1/4 of the Betty Crocker™ Buttercream Icing then sandwich each layer together. Using the remaining icing, cover the tops and sides in an even layer. Press the palette knife against the sides keeping an even pressure all the time turning the cake, this will give you smooth even sides. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes to allow icing to dry.
- Mix cocoa powder and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Dip a new stiff-bristle paint brush into the cocoa mixture and use your fingers to gently flick the bristles towards the cake to create a splatter effect. Repeat to cover entire cake with the chocolate speckle effect and then refrigerate cake for 30 minutes.
- Create the nest by heating oven to 190 ˚ C. Add the vermicelli to the muffin tray in a circular nest shape and gently brush with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until the nest is golden brown. Carefully remove nest with fork and place on a cooling rack. Secure the cooled nest on top of the cake with a dot of frosting. Place 3 mini chocolate eggs inside the nest.