Chocolate Yule Log
This Chocolate Yule Log Cake is perfectly delicious and would make a great alternative to the traditional Christmas cake. Our easy-to-follow Chocolate Yule Log recipe is the ideal alternative for those looking to create something a little different this Christmas.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil's Food Cake
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 230 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 150 g whipping cream
- Little cocoa and/or icing sugar for dusting
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Icing
- 1 tbsp brandy (optional)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas Mark 4. Have ready a greased and lined baking tin
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and cake mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture evenly into lined baking tray.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 23-25 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, then cool on a cooling rack.
- Place damp, clean tea towel on the work surface, then place greaseproof paper on top. Lightly dust this with mixture of cocoa and icing sugar.
- Turn the cooked cake out on top of the tea towel and greaseproof paper and carefully remove the tin and the greaseproof lining. While the cake is still warm, carefully begin to roll the cake towards you using the longest edge. Once you have rolled the first edge, hold the tea towel at the other end of your roll and gently pull it towards you - the cake will roll in the paper. Place your rolled cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Whip the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Carefully unroll the cake and spread whipped cream evenly over top surface. Re-roll the cake and cut a 3.5cmslice diagonally from one end of the cake and position it on one side of the roll to resemble a ‘log’.
- Beat the icing and the brandy if desired in a bowl. Using a small amount of icing stick the ‘log’ to the side of the cake then ice the entire cake with the fudge icing. Using a fork make strokes in the icing to resemble tree bark.
- Decorate Garnish if desired with rosemary sprigs and a few sugared cranberries or similar.Festively delicious!