Total Time: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
These bright buzzy bumblebee brownies are a fun treat for kids to help make as well as enjoy eating!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 123 Vegetable oil, water and egg called for on the brownie mix box
For the decoration
- 125g Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
- Yellow food colouring paste or gel
- 2 liquorice Catherine wheels, unrolled (discard or eat the sweet in the centre)
- 18 edible candy eyeballs
- 9 white flying saucer sweets
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm square shallow cake tin and line the base and 2 sides with baking paper.
- Make, bake and cool the brownies as directed on the box using the oil, water and egg.
- Turn the brownie slab out onto a board. Stamp out 9 circles using a 6cm round cookie cutter.
- To decorate, put the icing in a medium bowl and use the yellow food colouring paste or gel to colour the icing yellow. Spread the icing over each brownie circle.
- Cut the Catherine wheels into 28 x 6cm strips. Place 3 strips on each iced brownie to make the bee’s stripes, trimming to fit with scissors. Cut the remaining strip into 9 tiny triangles. Attach 1 to the top of each brownie to resemble a bee sting.
- Attach 2 candy eyeballs to the bottom of each brownie. Cut the flying saucers in half with scissors and tip out the sherbet inside (eat or discard). Attach 2 halves to each brownie to resemble wings. Serve immediately and store any leftover brownies in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- If you don’t want to use liquorice, use Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing to pipe on the bee’s stripes and sting instead.
- Cut thin slices of apple for the wings instead of using flying saucers – but only attach just before serving otherwise they will discolour and dry out.
- Cut up the brownie leftovers and use to make a quick no-bake pudding. Stir the pieces together with thick Greek yogurt and fresh or frozen and defrosted raspberries. Serve with a drizzle of melted chocolate!