If you’re wondering how to make two tone icing we’re here with a quick step guide on how to double up on your cake colours.
How to Make Two Tone Icing?
You need a few things to get started when it comes to perfecting two tone icing:
• 3 x piping bags – 1 large and 2 smaller bags
• 1 x piping tip
- First, you need to make your icing, we recommend working with buttercream icing as it tastes delicious, and pipes really well. Then you’ll need to separate your icing into two bowls, dye them two different shades with food colouring.
- Fill two piping bags (we recommend 25-30cm bags) with your two different types of icing, one in each. Do not attach a piping nozzle to the bags. Snip an even amount off each of the bags for an even flow.
- Take a third piping bag and attach a piping nozzle. This third bag needs to be large enough to fit both filled piping bags, so around 30-40cm depending on the size you chose for your other piping bags. Fold it back and place your filled icing bags side by side into the bag, fold it back up and twist it closed.
- Squeeze your piping bag gently onto a plate to test that your icing is coming out evenly, with a half and half spread.
- If you’re happy with the results of your two tone icing, you’re ready to pipe!
Try this simple but effective method of creating two tone icing and decorate your cakes with flair.