Homemade fondant icing is so much nicer than the store-bought stuff, and really easy to make. You only need three ingredients! If you’re keen to learn how to make fondant icing, we can show you how.
Ingredients for Fondant Icing
You can make as much fondant icing as you like, but for every 250 grams of icing sugar you will need about 4-5 teaspoons of water. The cornflour is for rolling.
How to Make Fondant Icing?
- Sift your icing sugar with a sieve and make sure it is free of lumps. Make a small indentation in the centre of your sifted sugar.
- Add in the water, one teaspoon at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon. Keep mixing until the sugar becomes too tough to stir.
- Use your hands to shape the icing into a ball, then place it on a counter dusted with icing sugar.
- Knead your icing sugar for a few minutes until there are no lumps and it’s smooth. It shouldn’t be sticky or dry after kneading. If it is the former, add more icing sugar, if it is the latter add a teeny tiny bit of water.
- You’re ready to roll! Dust your counter again with icing sugar and the cornflour, then roll out your fondant icing until it is thin enough to cover your cake.
- Ice your cake! If you are prepping the fondant icing in advance, it will keep for 3 days but you will have to wrap it or put it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.