Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Brownies:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 40 ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 75 ml water
- 1 medium free range egg
Preparing the Brownies:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm square shallow cake tin and line the base and 2 sides with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir the brownie mix, oil, water and egg together until well blended. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared tin.
3. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a round bladed knife inserted into the brownie comes out almost clean. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the tin; about 30 minutes.
4. Lift the brownie from the tin using the baking paper and cut in half. Cut 1 half into 8 squares. Cut the other half into 6 triangles, each with a 4cm wide base (see diagram). You will have some brownie left over at the sides from this half to discard or eat!
5.The brownies will keep for 2-3 days in a cool place.
Ingredients for the Decoration
- 30g (about 1 heaped tablespoon) Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing
- 80g Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- 8 large white chocolate buttons
- 8 dark chocolate drops
- 4 mini orange jelly beans
- 2 mini chocolate-covered peanut butter cup candies, cut into quarters
- 8 edible candy eyeballs
- Green food colouring paste or gel
- 8 red sugar-coated mini chocolate beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate strands
- 1 small tube black writing icing
- 4 short pieces liquorice, halved
1. Roughly swirl the chocolate fudge icing over 4 square brownies with the tip of a small palette knife.
2. For the eyes, place 2 white chocolate buttons on each brownie, then attach 2 dark chocolate drops to the buttons with a tiny dot of any remaining chocolate icing.
3. Attach 1 mini jelly bean to each brownie to resemble beaks.
4. Place 2 peanut butter cup quarters, cut-side down, at the top of each brownie for eyebrows.
Halloween Mummy Brownies
1. Spoon 30g vanilla icing into a small disposable piping bag and snip off the end.
2. Pipe the icing over the remaining 4 square brownies in zig-zag lines to resemble bandages.
3. Attach 2 candy eyeballs to each brownie.
1. Place remaining vanilla icing in a bowl and use the green food colouring paste or gel to colour the icing bright green. Spread over the 4 brownie rectangles.
2. Place 2 red chocolate beans on each iced brownie for eyes.
3. Sprinkle the tops of 2 of the brownies with chocolate strands for hair.
4. Dot the eyes with black writing icing for pupils and use the icing to pipe mouths, hair and stitches on the faces.
5. Push 2 pieces of liquorice into the side of each brownie for bolts.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen work top. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing and/or Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.
- Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details. - Be as creative as you like and have fun!