Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
Preparing the Cupcakes:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
3. Bake both trays together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
4. The cupcakes will keep in a cool place for up to 2 days
Ingredients for the Decoration:
- 100g Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing
- 200g Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- 8 wafer thin dark chocolate digestive biscuits, cut in half with a serrated knife
- 16 edible candy eyeballs
- 16 red heart-shaped sugar sprinkles
- 2 small tubes black writing icing
- Orange food colouring paste or gel
- 1 small tube green writing
1. Frost 8 cupcakes with the chocolate fudge icing, smoothing with a small palette knife.
2. Push 2 biscuit halves into each cupcake to form wings.
3. Gently attach 2 candy eyeballs to each cupcake and 2 heart-shaped sprinkles (pointed-side out) to resemble fangs.
1. Frost 8 cupcakes with half of the vanilla icing, smoothing with a small palette knife.
2. Use 1 tube black writing icing to pipe spooky big eyes, dots for nostrils and a smiling skeleton mouth on each cupcake.
1. Use the orange food colouring paste or gel to colour the rest of the vanilla icing bright orange.
2. Frost 8 cupcakes with the orange icing, using the tip of a palette knife to create lines on the icing to resemble the ridges of a pumpkin.
3. Use the remaining tube of black writing icing to pipe a Halloween pumpkin mouth, nose and eyes on each cupcake.
4. Use the tube of green writing icing to pipe a green stalk on each cupcake.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen work top. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing and/or Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details.
- Be as creative as you like and have fun!