Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
Preparing the Cupcakes:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, oil, water and eggs gently together, then whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
3. Bake both trays together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
4. The cupcakes will keep in a cool place for up to 2 days
Ingredients for the Decoration:
- 700g (1¾ tubs) Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Orange, green and purple food colouring pastes or gels- About 55 edible candy eyeballs
- 1 small tube black writing icing
Colouring the icing:
1. Reserve 100g of the icing and divide the rest equally between 3 bowls (200g in each).
2. Use the food colouring pastes or gels to colour each bowl of icing bright orange, green or purple.
1. Frost 12 cupcakes with the coloured icings (4 in each colour).
2. Spoon the reserved uncoloured icing into a disposable piping bag and snip off the end.
3. Pipe the icing over each cupcake in zig-zag lines to resemble bandages.
4. Attach 2 candy eyeballs to each cupcake.
1. Fit 3 disposable piping bags with small star or grass/hair piping nozzles.
2. Spoon 1 colour of the remaining icings into each bag.
3. Pipe the icings onto the 12 remaining cupcakes to look like monster’s fur and to give funny features such as spiky hair..
4. Dot each cupcake with 2-3 candy eyeballs.
5. Use the black writing icing to pipe mouths and eyebrows on some of the cupcakes.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen work top. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Indulgent Chocolate Fudge Icing and/or Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.
- Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details.
- Be as creative as you like and have fun!