Vanilla Birthday Cake
- 1H 5 MinTotal Time
This elegant vanilla sponge birthday cake recipe is perfect for a celebration, with delicious Betty Crocker™ Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing swirls to decorate.
- 1 Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90 ml vegetable oil (4tbsp)
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 180 ml water
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker Vanilla Buttercream Style Icing
- 100 g white chocolate
- coloured sugar balls
- Pink food colouring
- 2x 8" well greased cake tins
- Electric mixer/hand whisk
- 2 piping bags
- Star and writing nozzle
Method Watch Video
- Preheatyour oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4. Grease the tins or line with greaseproof paper.
- Mixthe eggs, oil, water and Velvety Vanilla Cake mix gently together, and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pourthe cake mixture evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bakein the centre of the oven for 22- 27 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool on a cooling rack.
- Icethe top of one cake with Vanilla Icing and spread the other with jam, then sandwich together.Note: place some sheets of paper to your cake stand to keep it mes free
- Spreada thin layer of icing over the top and sides of your cake and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help seal in the crumbs for perfectly smooth icing. Then ice the cake again for a perfect crumb-free finish.
- Gratethe white chocolate using a cheese grater to create tiny chocolate curls. Then gently press the chocolate curls onto the sides of the cake.
- Cutthe end of a disposable piping bag and insert a star piping nozzle. Fill the bag with Vanilla Icing.
- Pipean ‘s’ shape with the piping bag. Start the next ‘s’ shape in the same place as you finished the previous ‘s’. Continue doing this all the way around the top edge of the cake.
- Fixthe Writing Tip nozzle to another piping bag and colour some vanilla icing with pink food paste. Once well combined fill the piping bag with the pink icing.
- Gentlyscore your message onto the cake with a cocktail stick then pipe your message with the pink icing.
- Addthe coloured sugar balls and other decorations of your choice to add that extra special finishing touch.Don't forget to remove the paper from your cake stand!