Giant Chocolate Cupcake
- 1H 15 MinTotal Time
This giant chocolate cupcake recipe is perfect for any celebration, with swirls of delicious Betty Crocker™ icing and chocolate fingers as decoration.
- 2 boxes Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 240 ml vegetable oil (12tbsp)
- 6 medium free range eggs
- 460 ml water
- 4 tubs Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing
- Milk and white chocolate fingers
- Edible flowers (optional)
- 4 x 8" well greased cake tins
- Electric mixer/hand whisk
- Piping bag and star nozzle
Method Watch Video
- Preheatyour oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4.
- Mixthe eggs, oil, water and Devil’s Food Cake Mixes gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pourthe cake mixture evenly into your four greased cake tins (or use two cake tins at a time)
- Bakein the centre of the oven for 23- 28 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool on a cooling rack, onced cooled turn out onto a cake board.
2 cakes with a spread of Chocolate Fudge Icing in between and apply a thin layer of icing all around the sides and top of the cake to form a crumb coat as a basis for perfectly smooth icing. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set. This will form the bottom base of your cupcake.
For the top of your cupcake, stack the remaining 2 cakes and using the Chocolate Fudge Icing lid as a guide, cut diagonally down to the bottom edge of the cakes to create a pyramid shape. Using the off cuts, ice and stick to the cake to create the cupcake top.
one tub of the Chocolate Fudge Icing slightly in the microwave for 15-30 seconds until runny and then spread all over the top cake to seal in the crumbs.
Take the bottom cake out of the fridge and spread another thin layer of Chocolate Fudge icing around the sides and top the form a smooth finish and to help the chocolate fingers stick.
- Attachthe chocolate fingers around the side of the cake, in alternate colours.
the top cake gently on to the bottom cake using a knife or palette knife.
Snip the end of the bag and insert the star tip. Put the bag in a glass for stability and fill with a whole tub of Chocolate Fudge Icing. The top of the cupcake will need 2 tubs!
the top of the cupcake by piping a swirl in a circular motion working from the inside out, until a rose design has been achieved (if you use a glass and carefully make small marks on the cake you can use this as a basis for piping your circles)
Fill in the gaps with smaller rose swirls.
- Addthe edible flowers to the icing for the perfect finishing touch.
- Tiea ribbon around the chocolate fingers to secure the chocolate fingers. Beautiful!